About : Ethical Zodiac Collection Jewellery Line
Explore our approach to a better supply chain for our jewellery.
Discover what ethical and sustainable manufacturing means to us.
Sustainability and ethical manufacturing mean a lot to us. We take every step possible to minimize our effect on the environment and reduce the negative effects of fast fashion by taking a holistic view to our jewelry making process.
Our Core Collection
All our core collection designs are put together using findings sourced from small businesses around the world, who are making their difference by only producing solid gold, sterling silver, and gold-filled jewelry, thereby prolonging the life of jewelry and reducing our footprint as consumers.
Here are some quick facts about where our jewellery comes from.
Gold Fill Findings
100% of our gold filled findings are made in the U.S. and Brazil (where gold fill is more abundant), and are assembled by hand by Chi in our studio in Melbourne.
Sterling Silver Findings
70% of our sterling silver are ready-made jewellery (such as hoops) and are made in Australia. The other 30% are findings sourced from Italy, USA, and India.
We use synthetic cubic zircons and choose not to use diamonds in our jewellery unless they are ethically mined
We want high quality jewelry that is affordable and accessible with every budget. That's why we will always keep prices as low as possible to ensure that you're getting jewellery that you love, at a range of prices that is suitable for you.
Packaging is a huge contributor to environmental stress, and at S-kin Studio we use biodigradable satchels and cardboard boxes, and aim to reduce as much plastic in our packaging as possible. We are proud that our bags can be composted, recycled, and reused.
What "Ethical Manufacturing" Means for Us
The current state
The fashion and costume jewellery industry is rampant with not only cheaply made products, but also unethically made. Workers are paid very little for their labour, and cheap materials are used to keep costs down. That's why you can buy jewellery so cheap, it's the same price as your morning coffee.
A higher price point also doesn’t necessarily mean a more ethical product. Major distributors and jewellery powerhouses buy jewellery for less than $10 (including materials AND labor) and mark up to over $200.
What does it mean for us?
We are passionate about changing the way consumers view and buy jewellery. We care about what materials we use, how we produce our jewellery, and who produces our jewellery.
We are committed to producing and sourcing as ethically as we can. This means working with suppliers that pay fair wages, guarantee that no child labor is allowed within their factories, and who maintain a safe working environment.
Our Bespoke Collections
While our core collection are made from findings sourced from small businesses all over the world, our bespoke collections are designed in Melbourne and lovingly made in our ethical factory in Mumbai, India. Working directly with our factory means that we are able to offer more styles and create a stronger connection between you and the amazing artisans that create our beautiful adornments.
We are also further able to involve our consumers in the making process, to create what you want to see at S-kin and what you personally connect to. We are also further able to expand our size range and offer something beautiful and bespoke that will last for years to come.
Situated in Mumbai, India, the land of jewelry production, we found our factory through trial and error. Fun fact: the owner of the company personally reached out to help us when our first factory run with another company went amiss!
Female-Focused Family Business
The factory comprises of 100% female office staff, with over 80% of our artisan makers being women. Founded by 3 brothers, the business has grown to 3,800 makers located in Mumbai, India, and remains very largely a family owned business.
Above Average Employee Benefits
The artisans work 8 hour days, with one hour break, 20 days paid annual leave, with paid public holidays such as the Diwali Festival, free upskilling and training programs, and worker insurance.
Socially Focused Business
The average staff age sits at 41 years old, with programs to employ old women to work from home. All our extension chains are made by women over 60 years old who are unemployed and lack support due to their age.
The factory uses recycled materials wherever we can. Scrap materials are reused for casting for at least 3-4 production cycles before being recycled. No lead, nickel, or any harmful materials are used in any process of making our jewelry.